Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Clifford Geertz, 1926-2006 will be missed

PRINCETON, N.J., October 31, 2006 -- Clifford Geertz, an eminent scholar in the field of cultural anthropology known for his extensive research in Indonesia and Morocco, died at the age of 80 early yesterday morning of complications following heart surgery at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Geertz was Professor Emeritus in the School of Social Science at the Institute for Advanced Study, where he has served on the Faculty since 1970. Dr. Geertz's appointment thirty-six years ago was significant not only for the distinguished leadership it would bring to the Institute, but also because it marked the initiation of the School of Social Science, which in 1973 formally became the fourth School at the Institute.

Gosh, I feel like I knew him through reading him and his resultant influence on me and my teachers. The news just came out and I'm not quite sure what to say. Never do, I suppose. It gives me comfort to know that through writing, a scholar like Clifford Geertz could affect so many people.
Just last week, upon receiving mobile phones for some user research I'm involved in conducting, we named our phones after favourite scholars. I named mine Geertz, and that means so much more to me today.

More can be found here>>

Technorati tags: Geertz, anthropology

1 Comments:

Blogger Doctor Emily said...

He really will be missed. He's done so much to influence my own work... sigh. It is a sad day for anthropology.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home